Protecting Yourself and Your Family from Harmful Chemicals in Your Drinking Water
While PFAS chemicals provide great value to consumer products due to their ability to repel water, oil, and grease, they have been linked to a variety of health concerns. After learning of these risks, you may be becoming increasingly concerned with any potential exposure, especially when it comes to the possibility of PFAS contamination in your home’s water supply. Is it possible to remove these harmful substances from your tap water, and if so, how?
If you would like to protect yourself and your family from PFAS contamination in your home’s tap water, contact The Repiping Pros. Our water filtration experts can help you ensure your drinking water is safe and free of harmful substances, such as PFAS chemicals. Contact us today to learn more about our Los Angeles water filtration systems.
What Are PFAS Chemicals?
PFAS, or per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances, are a group of chemicals that have been used extensively in a wide variety of consumer and industrial products since the 1940s. Also referred to as “forever chemicals,” these substances are known for their resistance to water, oil, and grease.
PFAS chemicals are commonly found in water-repellent clothing, stain-resistant fabrics, non-stick cookware, and some firefighting foams. While these properties do provide value to a wide range of products, they also contribute to health and environmental concerns, especially when they are present in an area’s water supply.
The Potential Health Risks Associated with PFAS Chemicals
According to the Centers for Disease Control, those exposed to certain levels of these “forever chemicals” are at risk of the following:
- Reproductive complications, such as fertility issues and high blood pressure among pregnant women
- Developmental effects or delays in children that include low birth weight, behavioral changes, the early onset of puberty, and bone variations
- An increased risk of some cancers, including kidney, prostate, and testicular cancers
- The suppression of the immune system, including the reduced ability to fight off vaccines
- A significant disturbance of the body’s natural hormones
- Higher cholesterol levels
- An increased chance of obesity
Are PFAS Chemicals in Southern California’s Water Supply?
Unfortunately, the answer is yes. In fact, it is a major concern across the country. Researchers estimate that more than 45% of our nation’s drinking water could contain PFAS chemicals. In Southern California alone, a recent study found PFAS were present in over 200 water systems, which currently service over 18 million people, at some point over the last decade.
How Can PFAS Chemicals Be Removed from Your Drinking Water?
- Reverse osmosis systems - These filtration systems use energy to push water through a membrane with tiny pores. This membrane catches contaminants while also allowing water to pass through.
- Granular activated carbon filter - Contaminants, such as PFAS, accumulate on this type of filter while water is allowed to pass through.
- Some ion exchange resin systems - Only systems that meet the NSF/ANSI certification standards can effectively remove PFAS chemicals. These standards include the NSF/ANSI 53 (for filters) or NSF/ANSI 58 (reverse osmosis).
- PFAS are widely used chemicals. Their components break down very slowly over time.
- Due to their widespread use and sustainability in the environment, these chemicals are present in the bloodstream of animals and people all over the world. They are also found at low levels in some food products and in the environment.
- PFAS chemicals are found in air, water, fish, and soil in locations spanning the entire globe.
- Studies have shown that PFAS chemical exposure may cause harmful health conditions in both humans and animals.
- There are thousands of forever chemicals found in a wide range of consumer, industrial, and commercial products.
Contact Repiping Pros Today to Learn More
As a Southern California resident, you may be alarmed by the risks that PFAS chemicals pose to your and your family’s health. Fortunately, reverse osmosis systems and other water treatment solutions are effective in removing these harmful substances from your drinking water.
At Repiping Pros, our team is dedicated to providing clean, pure drinking water to customers across Southern California. With over 70 years of experience, our Los Angeles water filtration experts will find the right filtration system for your needs - one that is both practical and affordable. We only offer the highest quality products and services, which are all backed by a lifetime guarantee. Contact us today for a free estimate.