Repairing a Leak in Your Home’s Concrete Foundation
As a homeowner, you can expect the need for occasional repairs, such as fixing a leaky roof, electric issues, or a broken air conditioner. One you might not immediately think of, however, is a leak in the concrete foundation of your home. While repairing a slab leak can be challenging, the issue can be fixed with the help of a repiping specialist. This article provides an overview of slab leaks, signs to look for if you suspect a leak, and the methods used to repair them.
If your home has a leak in its concrete foundation, call the plumbing experts at Repiping Professionals. Our Southern California repiping specialists have over 70 years of experience and can provide quick, efficient, and affordable repair. Call today for a free estimate.
What Is a Slab Leak?
A slab leak is when a water or sewage pipe in a home’s concrete foundation starts to leak. When there is a foundation leak, water or sewage is released under the home.
What Causes Slab Leaks?
Slab leaks can result from several factors, such as faulty pipe installation, poor construction, weakened water or sewage lines, pressure changes, and shifting soil underneath the foundation.
Signs Your Home May Have a Slab Leak
If you suspect a leak, you will want to know what to look for. Below are some common signs that can indicate a foundation leak.
- Unexpectedly high water bills - If your water bill suddenly and drastically increases, it could be a sign that water is leaking within your home’s foundation.
- The sound of running water - Hearing the sound of water when the taps are off is a classic sign of a slab leak.
- Damp floors or carpet - If you suddenly notice a new puddle or damp carpet within your home, it could be a strong indicator of a plumbing leak under the slab.
- Warm spots on the floor - If a hot water pipe is leaking, you might feel a warm spot on the floor of your home.
- Cracked floors or walls - Water leaks can cause your home’s floors or walls to shift, leading to cracks.
Slab Leak Repair Process
Finding the Source of the Leak
The first step is determining the exact location of the slab leak. A repiping expert will use special listening devices to hear where the water is leaking.
Reaching the Leak
Once the leak is located, your repiping expert will need to access it. This can be done in one of the two following ways.
- Breaking through the slab - Your plumber will break through the concrete foundation right above where the leak is. It can be messy, but it gets to the source of the problem quickly.
- Rerouting the pipe - In some cases, it is better to avoid breaking the slab. Instead, your repiping specialist may choose to reroute the pipe. This involves running a new pipe around the leaking pipe, usually through your home’s walls or ceiling.
Fixing the Pipe
- Repairing the pipe - If the leak is small, your repiping professional might be able to patch the pipe.
- Replacing the pipe - If the pipe is old or the leak is large, they might replace a section of the pipe or even the entire pipe.
Repairing the Slab
After the slab leak is fixed, your repiping specialist will need to repair the foundation. This means pouring new concrete where the original slab was removed. If your pipe was rerouted, your walls and/or ceiling will also need to be fixed. Lastly, your repiping pros will clean your home, restoring it to its previous condition.
How to Prevent Future Slab Leaks
- Regular plumbing check-ups - Having your plumbing checked regularly can catch problems before they result in a leak.
- Water pressure check - Too much pressure within your pipes can lead to leaks, so be sure your home’s water pressure is at a safe level.
- Soften your water - Hard water can slowly deteriorate pipes, but installing a water softener can help.
Contact Repiping Pros for Expert Slab Leak Repair in Southern California
Dealing with a slab leak might sound scary, but with help from a repiping professional, it can be fixed quickly and efficiently. The key to a successful repair is early detection and calling in a professional. If you suspect a slab leak, get it checked out right away.
At Repiping Professionals, our Southern California slab leak repair specialists are dedicated to providing excellent customer service and quality repairs. If you suspect a foundation leak, contact us online or call (818) 287-0844 to request a free estimate.